Tuesday, May 9, 2017

At Home with Samuel Parrish

Samuel Longstreth Parrish resided in Southampton's Rogers Mansion from 1899-1932. This mansion, part of the Southampton Historical Museum, offers a unique look into a another era. Every room in the public portion of the mansion, with exception of the exhibition gallery, is decorated in the style of when he and his family lived here. 
The rooms are beautiful. Each detail carefully curated.
Book cases and mantles display artifacts of the mansion's previous residents.
I could visit again and again to examine the details of each room.
I loved seeing all of the details upstairs in the bedrooms.
At first I thought this was a painting.
A worn leather bag monogramed with what appears to be:
C C FOSTER
SOUTH HAMPTON
Clara Parrish's Dressing Room from 1928 - 1932
Every dressing room needs a fainting couch and fan.
Each part of the house is annotated.
Below are the notes on the Master's Medroom
Photograph of unidentified girl and boy on horseback
Possibly the front of "White Fence" Samuel's mother's house on First Neck Lane.
f you've never been to this museum before, I highly recommend it. If you haven't visited recently you are over due for a treat. Curator, Emma Ballou and staff have done a fantastic job preserving a local treasure while also keeping it interesting and relevant.
Links
I

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful and well preserved home. Like you, I love the details. The old typewriter, the architectural detail on the stairwell and the mantle, all the personal touches. Visiting places like this send me to another place and time and these days that's so refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful home Gail..I would be examining the details too..I loved being a realtor:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!